There aren’t many eBook readers to choose from in the UK that comes with e-Ink 2 display and Chinese support, and many like the Sony PRS-505 that doesn’t support Chinese ebooks. Since it’s a Linux based device like many others people have made patches to enable Chinese on this reader. Thanks to them you can add Chinese support to your eBook reader! Just google “PRS-505 中文” and you will find there are at least 3 methods out there now that will allow you to do that, some require flashing the reader and some doesn’t. I went for the one which require flashing the device since I don’t have to activate the patch everytime you reboot, but it’s safer not to have to flash the reader!
This eBook reader is quite ideal if you have a lot of ebooks ready to be put on. This works out quite well for me because all the Buddhist materials/books are for freely available online! There are many websites for Buddhist books and sutras, here is one that I often visit:
To read them on your ebook, you can either upload them to the reader as plain text or use a multi-platform software called “Calibre” to convert your (html) files into .lrf or .epub. Here is how I convert the ebooks.
- Pick a book you want to convert, e.g. 淨土十疑論
- In your browser, save page as html only
- Drag this html file into Calibre and click convert
- Upload to the ebook
Problems that I experienced:
- Automatic table of content creation in Calibre – It will created the table of content but failing to link it to the right page! But it’s good enough!
- Reader freeze on connecting USB to computer – need to reset to solve this problem, I believe it’s a problem with the Chinese interface that I’m using which is probably solved by now. But my advice is to use the original English interface!
Here are some photos of the eBook.